The International Forums

Let your voice be heard.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-04 18:55.49

DownsGameClub
User

Processors

So a friend of mine asked me if I knew anything about processors.  I don't, so could a tech guy give me an intro to how those work and what models of good processers are out there?

Hello!

#2 2017-08-06 02:32.15

GeonoTRON2000
International Team
Website

Re: Processors

Processors (CPUs) are what do the actual work of your computer. Everything else (memory, disk, etc.) is just there to store data that the CPUs can call on. Processors nowadays can usually perform between 1-3 GHz, meaning between 1 and 3 billion operations per second, with 1 GHz being towards the low end, and 4 being on the medium-high end.

Each processor also has a certain number of cores, and each core can perform one operation at a time, so if you have, say, 4 cores, your computer can do 4 things at once. Of course computers obviously do way more than that, so the trick is that they continually switch between the processes they have running, but this is what can cause slowness even though most processors have a similar base speed. Instead of just upping the base speed of more powerful processors, companies like Intel are moving to load up on cores. For example, the recently released Intel i9 series has 18 cores, allowing it to perform 18 operations at the same time (in parallel), each at a speed of 3.30 GHz. My laptop's i5 by contrast has 4 cores and a speed of 1.60 GHz, but it's also decently old by now.

gt_github.png cflems_github.png
gists.png gists.png

#3 2017-08-06 12:35.07

DownsGameClub
User

Re: Processors

Oh cool!  I did know that they did "work", but I didn't know it was this simple.  XD

Hello!

Board footer