The International Forums

Let your voice be heard.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-07 04:01.43

SplatKirby
User
Website

365 Days Of Music (Day 6: King Of The World)

In order to supply this forum with some sort of constant discussion, I've decided to talk about some of my favorite albums for a whole year. One song a day.

I've organized 31 albums and 32 (?) standalone tracks into a 365-day calendar, starting today. The progression will go full album, single track, full album, single track, and so forth and so on. Each day, I will provide a link to the song, along with my thoughts on it, its history, and its relation to the album.

August 6, 2017: "California Kids"

Today's song is Weezer's "California Kids". This also marks the beginning of Weezer's White Album, their 2016 studio album and one of their best. California Kids is a remix of a song by lead singer Rivers Cuomo's side project, Scott and Rivers. I like the Weezer take on it.

It's an upbeat rock song not unlike their old work on the Blue Album, and it sets the tone quite nicely for what's to come on the album. I like the contrast in the volume of Rivers' voice between the verses and the choruses a lot.

You can read someone else's opinion on the song here: http://tvs.soymilkrevolution.com/?p=1144

The music video for California Kids is one of my favorites from the White Album, but I'll keep the reasons why a secret. All will be revealed in time.

https://youtu.be/GMeu0ZubufU

Last edited by SplatKirby (2017-08-12 04:41.11)

"There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know."

-Harry Truman

#2 2017-08-07 10:17.37

DownsGameClub
User

Re: 365 Days Of Music (Day 6: King Of The World)

How cool!

Hello!

#3 2017-08-07 17:07.13

SplatKirby
User
Website

DownsGameClub wrote:

How cool!

I'm glad you think so!

August 7, 2017: "Wind In Our Sail"

Today's song is "Wind In Our Sail", the second track on Weezer's White Album. Compared to California Kids, Wind In Our Sail is a little slower, but more poppy. Rivers has always been at the forefront of Weezer's musical direction, and it's been rather clear since at least the late 2000s that he's a sucker for a pop song. Although that doesn't always mean good things for Weezer, he's done it properly here in White Album.

Wind In Our Sail is an upbeat song that makes numerous allusions to historical and mythological figures, such as Darwin, Mendel, and Sisyphus. The song shows off Rivers' vocal range well, although I think the pop influences on this song don't do the same for the other members of the band. That said, there are some nice synth parts near the bridge.

This song isn't one of my favorites from White Album, but it's a quality track from a quality album.

https://youtu.be/xsiWR4GBuS4

-Harry Truman

#4 2017-08-09 02:54.26

SplatKirby
User
Website

August 8, 2017: "Thank God For Girls"

I had a long one typed out for this. Then I accidentally deleted it irrevocably. Oops.

"Thank God For Girls" is the first single from the White Album. Like Wind In Our Sail, it's a pop tune, this time with rap influences.

Oh, boy.

Weezer and rap have had a complicated history. It's said that sometime in 2002, Rivers posted a statement on his message board saying that rock/rap was the future. Outside of a demo called Mo' Beats, nothing really came of it, until the verses from Make Believe's "Beverly Hills" (gag). Weezer spent a whole verse in nothing but rap on Red Album's "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived." Lil' Wayne got in on the fun with Weezer's absolute worst song, "Can't Stop Partying."

Here's the deal with Weezer and rap. When Rivers raps, it never feels sincere. Lyrics like:

"I got the money and I got the fame/You've got the hots to ride on my plane/You've given me all that I desire/Cuz down with me I'm takin' you higher"

feel more like Rivers has been replaced by an alien lookalike.

If it's not clear, I don't like Can't Stop Partying, I don't like Greatest Man, I don't like Mo' Beats, and I definitely don't like Beverly Hills. But I do like Thank God For Girls.

Yeah, that's right. Rivers actually does it well here.

"The girl in the pastry shop with the net in her hair/Is making a cannoli for you to take on your hiking trip/In the woods with your bros that you’ve known since second grade"

feels more like a nod to the good old days of "In The Garage", and much more honest.

The song moves into the chorus, which is straightforward Weezer rock, and Rivers' great falsetto is a wonderful addition. This song is groovy and catchy. Even if it's not my favorite, if songs like this are what I have to look forward to on the Black Album, I'll give it a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJMruBJfhNM

-Harry Truman

#5 2017-08-10 21:00.25

SplatKirby
User
Website

August 10, 2017: "(Girl We Got A) Good Thing" and "Do You Wanna Get High?"

Oops! It seems I missed a day. Have an extra song to make up for it.

"(Girl We Got A) Good Thing" is the fourth song from White Album. The Beach Boys' album Pet Sounds was a big influence on this album, and it shows here. This is exactly what it sounds like when you ask Weezer to write a Beach Boys song, and it's very well done. The floaty melody fits Rivers' voice perfectly, allowing him to go in and out of his falsetto with the greatest of ease. It's a pretty happy, straightforward tune that doesn't really tackle anything tough until the bridge, where

"You scare me like an open window/Let's chalk it up to Stockholm syndrome/I want to crawl in, crawl into a hole"

hints on something under the surface of the relationship. Perhaps the singer is scared of his SO leaving him. Either way, this is the cherry on top of the Weezer sundae, just in case you thought they were a Beach Boys cover band. This one is Weezer at its finest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIDPY_4SqlE

"Do You Wanna Get High?" is the fifth track and second single from the White Album. Although it doesn't seem to fit the summer and beach themes of the album, I'm very happy we ended up with this gem. It's a heavy, early Weezer-esque track detailing his addiction to drugs around 2000/2001 with his girlfriend. It feels almost like a track off of Pinkerton (which you'll be hearing about in December).

Rivers has taken a hard stance against drugs since 2001, but it wasn't until "Do You Wanna Get High?" that we really saw a song from this time. (No, "Can't Stop Partying" from Raditude does not count.) This song shows off his urgent vocals well, alongside rhythm guitarist Brian Bell's backing vocals around the second verse and last chorus. Drummer Pat Wilson's steady groove keeps the songs from getting boring (not that I think it ever could), and the Pinkerton-esque synth sounds amazing on this track.

But what really makes this song is the solo. The wailing guitar paired with the "ooh-oohs" that lead into the last chorus and then into Rivers' screams are exactly what the audience needs to hear after the buildup of the first two verses. Honestly, my only complaint about this song is that it's only three and a half minutes. Shame, really.

You can read someone else's opinions on this song here: http://tvs.soymilkrevolution.com/?p=1082

This one's music video depicts two sixties-era women with their faces "in a knot" as the song describes. Fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Wu6lI-42w

Last edited by SplatKirby (2017-08-10 21:00.33)

-Harry Truman

#6 2017-08-12 04:59.24

SplatKirby
User
Website

August 11: "King Of The World"

I almost put off writing this again, but it's one in the morning here and I couldn't sleep, so I thought I might as well.

"King Of The World" is the sixth track and last single from the White Album. It was my first song I heard off of White and, although it's no longer my favorite, it's exactly what listeners mean when they say it's a "return to form" by Weezer.

See, Weezer was famous in the 90s for their "geek rock" sound - they were just a bunch of guitar nerds who wrote "Buddy Holly" and then went down the drain with Pinkerton (this was, of course, before Pinkerton became the cult classic that it is). When they came back in the 2000s, Rivers seemed to want to be the quintessential power pop band instead, trying to come off as a cool, "with it" guy that spawned some of Weezer's worst songs.

"King Of The World" does away with that. Because he is now married, I think Rivers is able to get in touch with his more sensitive side now, more than he was when he came back with the Green Album looking to score almost formulaic hits. The narrator in this song simply wants to console his girlfriend even though he doesn't have much to offer her. But you can bet that if he was king of the world, she "wouldn't have to shed a single tear".

Also of note is the way the song makes a specific, personal reference to his wife's fear of flying: "We could ride a Greyhound all the way to the Galapagos".

This song turns back to Weezer's olden golden days not just lyrically, but sonically as well. The strange-sounding hook in the intro will remind longtime Weezer fans of the intro to Pinkerton's wobbly acoustic hook in "El Scorcho".

This song is a very Weezer song that also fits with the White album themes quite nicely. As part of a concept album and as a single, this song is a shining example of Weezer.

This video might seem familiar...

https://youtu.be/nGyBIQjU2Lk

-Harry Truman

Board footer